Thursday, June 17, 2010

Alderson's Miss Fireworks Pageant

Alderson 4th of July is one of the largest celebrations in the state of West Virginia....but they compete with Ripley for the "Largest Small Town 4th of July Celebration."  So, when I was asked to emcee and sing at their queen's pageant, I was ecstatic to see how they host their pageant as well as what fun options they participate in during their 4th of July festivities.  


When I walked into the community center I was blown away by the decorations for the pageant, the space, and the amount of townspeople that come to support this endeavor.  
  




During the pageant I was able to serve as emcee alongside a well known TV correspondent and former meteorologist.  For changing fillers, I also sang a few songs, one of which I used one of the boys from the boys choir that came to perform also, and one lucky young man in the audience as my "props."  I was singing "Gonna Getcha Good," by Shania Twain and I had them sit in the chair while I sang out the song lyrics and "hammed it up" some.
One of the boys used in the song  from the crowd.  


Other than the director of the pageant and the contestants, the boys choir was my favorite. They were phenomenal performers and all were still in high school at Greenbrier East.  One was going on to continue his education at Yale if that tells you anything about these guys and their abilities inside the choir room and outside.




All in all, it was a wonderful time spent with the contestants, director, boys choir and those at the family-owned motel that provided me a very comfortable night's stay in the heart of Alderson.  

No comments:

Post a Comment