Friday, May 14, 2010

Miss West Virginia Orientation





Miss West Virginia Orientation was like the Super Bowl, or even like Miss America for me!  I always DREAMED of speaking as the reigning Miss WV to the contestants and parents about my experience and journey to the crown.  Throughout my year and even my years of competing, I often thought of what I would say at orientation and wanted to make sure I got it all in, so I developed a few PowerPoint slides to keep me on track and focused. 

This year, Miss West Virginia Orientation was held at The Greenbrier, a luxury resort in the southern part of West Virginia.  The Greenbrier is known for its lavish décor, southern belle feel, five star dinners, events and amenities.  Friday at 8:00 pm, I arrived to The Greenbrier after driving four hours from the extreme northern part of the state to the extreme southern part and spoke that evening to the contestants, parents, and local directors.

On Saturday, I had the wonderful opportunity to sing at the High Tea with The Greenbrier pianist.  I provided three songs to the guests – Tale as Old as Time, Precious Lord, and Country Roads, and immensely enjoyed myself as I hoped those in attendance did as well. 

Saturday evening finished up with the Miss WV Contestants vs. Greenbrier East Alumni basketball game.  The girls were coached by Jerry West, former NBA Los Angeles Lakers basketball player, and the Alumni team was coached by Jim Justice, owner of The Greenbrier.  Needless to say, the contestants did play a “fun” game, but hammed it up since they weren’t the most talented basketball players.  Miss WV 2010 contestants won the game, and I was privileged to sing the National Anthem.
 

Once Sunday rolled around and we finished up all the informational sessions, I felt the weekend was everything and MORE than I had dreamed it would be.


(Miss WV Board with Jerry West)

No comments:

Post a Comment