Thursday, October 22, 2009

Martinsburg Mountain State Apple Harvest Festival

This was a production that I knew nothing about until being offered the chance to attend. This festival reminded me much of the Forest Festival, held in Elkins, WV. The first night's activity was the Queen’s Gala where the new queen and her court were honored. The queen, her maids, and the court are chosen simply off of their interview skills and knowledge of the festival.

I had the wonderful opportunity to meet the outgoing queen, Megan and the new queen, Paige. Both girls represented the festival with class and poise and it was no wonder why they were chosen to reign as queen. Also during that evening I was able to meet the people I was seated around. The Barn’s owner – a prom, pageant and bridal shop in Inwood, WV – was seated to my left and we talked a great deal about how she got into the business and what kind of inventory her store offers. To the right of me was a really unique couple that I hope to remain in touch with for years to come – Ed & Mig Wilson. Candy Reid and her husband Kim were also there and as always, anytime with Candy is a hoot! But…..I think her husband up stood her this time because he was sporting 4 metal rods hanging out of both of his hands and upper arm and potholder-like covers. In August while working around the house, a ladder slipped out from under him and he broke both of his wrists. Candy said it had been a trip trying to keep everything accessible for him, but they were in their last week and the rods would soon be removed.

Friday hosted the Queen’s Coronation, and it reminded me some of the coronation I participated in when reigning as Miss Black Walnut Festival. Paige looked beautiful in her red ball gown and beamed once the crown was placed on her head.

Saturday was the Sports Breakfast which honored former basketball player Spud Webb, the parade and Queen’s Ball. There I was interviewed on the Martinsburg radio about my year as Miss WV and plans for Miss America. The parade was almost rained out, but many still stood along the route with their ponchos and umbrellas.

The Queen’s Ball featured Rick K and The All Nighters! Their name was appropriate for that occasion, seeing as how all the attendees stayed and danced till 2:00am. PS: On a side note – they are going to be the band at my wedding! Whenever that is…..





No comments:

Post a Comment