Saturday, October 3, 2009

School Tour Starts!


What an incredible week I have had! Kyle Maynard drove from Atlanta on Saturday night to spend the week with me, and we sure have worn ourselves out! He arrived Saturday night, and we spent Sunday with family and going to church. Early Monday morning, we spoke to our first school in Jackson County, and the fun began!




I have a multimedia presentation for each school, specifically targeted at elementary, middle and high schools. Each presentation includes some interactive slides, as well as attention-getting videos targeted at the different types of abuse and neglect the students or their friends could be facing. After I went through my presentation, during which I use Kyle's introductory video (click below) to finish my speech off with an example of someone who truly has set impossible goals and reached them, I would say to the kids, "Don't you think he's pretty cool?" They'd say, "Yeah." And I'd say, "Well, guess what?? He's here!" They would go wild!

http://vimeo.com/4958078

It was so exciting being able to start my school tour with him by my side. He is such an inspiration, and he really rocked the crowds! We got all kinds of crazy questions, ranging from "Did you get a Ferrari for being Miss WV, and where's your limo," to "Are you two dating?" The kids really had a heyday with that one!



Kyle has such a heart and is so compassionate. He spent one evening with a student from Ripley who was born with no legs and one arm, spent some time with him working out physically, then brought him up to the house to show him his upcoming documentary. What a great example of investing yourself in others he is. We all could learn much from him.

Monday through Wednesday, we spoke at nine schools, two football practices, did my photo shoot, then Kyle, mom and I left for Elkins on Thursday morning, to attend the Forest Festival, the WVU-Colorado ballgame, the Berkeley County Dancing with the Stars, the Martinsburg Welcome Home to the Veterans Celebration and then on to the Wellsburg Apple Festival. Can anyone say "mileage on the car??" Although Kyle drove the whole time (yes, that is a sight to see!), so the miles didn't rack up on my odometer - liked that!

No comments:

Post a Comment